The university library system has a primary mission to support the educational, teaching, research, and administrative needs of the faculty, students, and staff of Illinois Institute of Technology.
Study and Computer Areas
- Galvin Library's computers are part of the IIT network and require a faculty, staff or student login.
- A Quiet Zone is available on the south end of the upper level for quiet study.
- Galvin Library reserves the right to erase white boards at the beginning of each day.
- Meetings, discussions, and group study sessions should occur in group study rooms when available.
Damage of Library Materials
If you damage any library material or facility:
- You may be asked to pay for the damage.
- You may lose library privileges.
- Other penalties may apply, depending on university policy and Illinois state law.
Security and Safety
- You may be asked by library staff and/or security personnel to show identification when using the library.
- Anyone who refuses may be asked to leave the library.
- Library staff will call IIT Public Safety any time there is a disturbance or suspicious activity.
- 911 will be called in case of fire, medical emergency or if law enforcement assistance is needed.
- If a fire, tornado, or other emergency situation occurs, library staff will provide procedures for evacuation or taking shelter.
Food and Drink
- Food and drink are not allowed in library computing areas.
- Drinks with lids or caps are allowed in study areas.
- Snacks are permitted, but messy or odorous food is discouraged, and may need to be removed from the library.
- Trash receptacles are provided throughout the library. Please clean up after yourself.
- While in the library, cell phone ringers should be turned off and phones should be set to vibrate.
- Cell phone conversations should not take place in study and research areas.
- Users who violate this policy may be asked to leave the library.
- Anyone who wishes to film or photograph within the library must contact email@example.com.
- Requests will be accommodated only if they do not interfere with other patrons’ research and study.
Literature Distribution, Solicitation
- Posters, bulletins or solicitations may be displayed only in designated areas on the Lower Level, and must have a stamp provided by the Dean of Students' office.
- If you have any questions about library facilities or policies, please contact library administration at firstname.lastname@example.org or 312.567.5136.
- Failure to comply with library policies may result in loss of library access and/or privileges.
Lost and Found
Patrons are responsible for their own property and should not leave items unattended. Galvin Library is not responsible for lost, stolen, or damaged items.
Items left unattended in Galvin Library will be added to the lost and found. Food and drink items, including containers, will be discarded of immediately with the exception of reusable drink containers, which will be emptied and kept in the lost and found. Items will be kept at the Circulation Desk for the duration of the semester in which they are placed in the lost and found. After the semester is over, items will be relocated to Public Safety.
To claim an item in the Library’s lost and found, patrons must visit the Circulation Desk and accurately describe the item.
To protect the privacy of our patrons, we will not access items on flash drives.
Items left in the library lockers at the end of the week will be added to the lost and found and will be kept for the duration of the semester.
Library lockers are for the use of current IIT students, staff, and faculty for day-use only. They are not intended for long term storage and will be emptied one hour before closing each Friday.
Items left in the lockers one hour before closing on Fridays will be added to the lost and found at the Circulation Desk and are subject to the Lost and Found Policy.
Food, drink, and hazardous materials are not permitted in the lockers. All library materials should be checked out before being placed in a locker. Galvin Library reserves the right to open lockers and inspect their contents for library materials, perishable items, or items that may be hazardous. Galvin Library is not responsible for lost, stolen, or damaged items.