Interlibrary Loan (ILL) is intended to support scholarly research and supplement classroom learning by providing materials that are not owned by the library or the I-Share consortium. Interlibrary Loan services are free to faculty, students, and staff of the Illinois Institute of Technology. IIT alumni may also use interlibrary loan services with their annual subscription. Textbooks cannot be borrowed through interlibrary loan, but may be on reserve.
Some materials are difficult to borrow, including but not limited to: audio/visual materials, books published prior to 1900, dissertations, maps, reference books, standardized tests and accompanying manuals.
If you have questions or concerns regarding interlibrary loan services, contact the MyILL staff at firstname.lastname@example.org or 312.567.6846. Alternately, you may also contact a librarian at the appropriate IIT Library.
Loan periods & renewals
- Loan periods and renewals for interlibrary loan items are determined by the owning library.
- Recalled and overdue ILL items must be promptly returned to the library.
- Fines and fees assessed by the owning library for overdue or replacement items are the responsibility of the borrowing patron.
- Not returning interlibrary loan items promptly may result in a loss of library privileges.
- Those who return damaged interlibrary loan materials will be responsible for replacement costs of the items.
- Do not mark the books -- this includes highlighting, underlining, underscoring and writing on any pages.
- Do not bend pages, or remove pages from books.
- Do not staple, tape or otherwise attach items to (or into) interlibrary loan materials.Audio/visual materials require extra care - discs (CDs, DVDs, etc.) can be scratched, and cases cracked.
- Food and beverage stains cause damages to materials.
- All pieces of multi-part sets (i.e.: books with CDs, multi-volume sets, etc) must be returned before the materials are sent back to the owning library to avoid damage fees.