The university library system has a primary mission to support the educational, teaching, research, and administrative needs of the faculty, students, and staff of Illinois Institute of Technology.
Study and Computer Areas
- Galvin Library's computers are part of the IIT network and require a faculty, staff or student login.
- A Quiet Zone is available on the south end of the upper level for quiet study.
- Galvin Library reserves the right to erase white boards at the beginning of each day.
- Meetings, discussions, and group study sessions should occur in group study rooms when available.
Damage of Library Materials
If you damage any library material or facility:
- You may be asked to pay for the damage.
- You may lose library privileges.
- Other penalties may apply, depending on university policy and Illinois state law.
Security and Safety
- You may be asked by library staff and/or security personnel to show identification when using the library.
- Anyone who refuses may be asked to leave the library.
- Library staff will call IIT Public Safety any time there is a disturbance or suspicious activity.
- 911 will be called in case of fire, medical emergency or if law enforcement assistance is needed.
- If a fire, tornado, or other emergency situation occurs, library staff will provide procedures for evacuation or taking shelter.
Food and Drink
- Food and drink are not allowed in library computing areas.
- Drinks with lids or caps are allowed in study areas.
- Snacks are permitted, but messy or odorous food is discouraged, and may need to be removed from the library.
- Trash receptacles are provided throughout the library. Please clean up after yourself.
- While in the library, cell phone ringers should be turned off and phones should be set to vibrate.
- Cell phone conversations should not take place in study and research areas.
- Users who violate this policy may be asked to leave the library.
- Anyone who wishes to film or photograph within the library must contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Requests will be accommodated only if they do not interfere with other patrons’ research and study.
Literature Distribution, Solicitation
- Posters, bulletins or solicitations may be displayed only in designated areas on the Lower Level, and must have a stamp provided by the Dean of Students' office.
- If you have any questions about library facilities or policies, please contact library administration at email@example.com or 312.567.5136.
- Failure to comply with library policies may result in loss of library access and/or privileges.